Deep Fryer Safety
According to the National Fire Protection Association, deep fryer fires cause an average of 5 deaths, 60 injuries, and more than $15 million in property damage each year. Deep fryers are great for cooking up some delicious food for gatherings, etc. But, frying is more dangerous than any other types of cooking because it involves cooking oil and grease. Not to mention, deep fryers involve larger quantities of hot cooking oil, so it creates a higher risk of injury and loss.
To avoid a fire, please follow these safety tips provided by The National Fire Protection Association:
- Always use cooking equipment tested and approved by a recognized testing facility.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions and code requirements when installing and operating cooking equipment.
- Plug cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance as it can overload the circuit and cause a fire. Watch what you heat!
- The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen when you are frying food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the deep fryer.
- Do not use too much deep-frying oil. Having too much will result in excessive spillage.
- Stay alert! To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert.
- Keep the deep fryer clean and change cooking oil regularly.
- Keep pets away to prevent them from knocking over the deep fryer or knocking something onto or into the deep fryer.
- Keep anything that can catch fire – potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, boxes, food packaging, towels, or curtains – away from your deep fryer.
If you happen to have damage from a fryer fire, we have specialized equipment, specific training, and certifications at SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling that allow us to restore your home to pre-fire condition "Like it never even happened."
For any of your fire loss needs call us at (231) 564-4014
Fire Damage Process
Fire and smoke damage is especially destructive. In many cases, your property will also suffer from water damage from firefighting efforts. With our emergency fire damage process, we can get your property back to pre-fire condition “Like it never even happened.” We have a 1-4-8 policy to make sure we are faster to any size disaster.
Within one hour from notice of loss, we will contact you to arrange for service. You will know help is on the way!
Within four hours of loss notification, we will be on-site to start mitigation services. The key to reducing damage and saving money is responding quickly to your damage.
A trained, uniformed, and equipped SERVPRO professional will walk you through the job process step-by-step, explaining what to expect and the anticipated outcome.
We will begin pretesting for restorability, working from the source of the damage outward.
Within eight business hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of scope will be communicated to the appropriate person, normally your adjuster or property manager.
Cleaning, Restoration, & Deodorization:
We will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your property when a damaging event has taken over. We use state-of-the-art restoration techniques to ensure your property is taken care of right the first time.
After the work has been completed, a final walk-through will be conducted with you to help ensure your satisfaction.
For Any Fire Damage Cleanup or Restoration Needs Contact Us At: (231) 564-4014
Frozen Pipes- What To Do
With winter quickly approaching, don't forget these tips incase your pipes freeze over.
- Locate the water main shut-off valve.
- Open the faucet so thawing water can flow freely & relieve pressure.
- Warm the pipes with a space heater or hairdryer.
- If you find leaks are causing water damage, give us a call right away.
For any water damage needs, call SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling to make it "Like it never even happened."
Winter Storm Preparation
During extremely cold weather or snowstorms, staying safe and warm can be a challenge. As Michiganders, we know that winter brings freezing temperatures, power failures, and icy roads. To keep you and your family safe, you need to prepare your home for Michigan’s longest season.
Prepare Your Home:
- Insulate any water lines that run along exterior walls so your water supply will be less likely to freeze.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- Insulate walls and attic.
- Install storm or thermal-pane windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
- Repair roof leaks and cut away tree branches that could fall on your home or other structure during a storm.
By preparing your home before a storm, it could help prevent or lessen the damage. In Michigan, we never know what type of weather we will get, so it is always important to be prepared and safe rather than sorry. For these long winter months, having a plan can protect your home against storm damage.
Before the Storm Hits:
The CDC highly suggests listening and watching weather forecasts regularly to keep updated on the storm. It is also recommended to have an emergency supply kit which includes emergency food and water supply. Even though we cannot always predict how bad a winter storm can be, sometimes watching/listening to a forecast can give you several days to prepare.
Here To Help:
Cold weather and winter storms can cause significant damage with little warning resulting from cold temperatures, heavy snowfall, ice storms and freezing rain. Regardless of the type of storm, our team can handle any size disaster. During catastrophic storms and major events, our team at SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling can respond quickly with additional resources.
No matter the winter storm damage, our team is ready 24/7 to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Fire or Smoke Damage in Your Home?
Fire or Smoke Damage in Your Home?
Even a small fire or smoke throughout your home can cause soot damage that covers your entire home structure and personal belongings. Your home may also suffer from secondary water damage if you have had the fire department respond due to firefighting efforts. This type of secondary damage can be especially upsetting and devastating for your family to process. If you have suffered any type of smoke damage or fire in your home, you may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We’ll treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care.
SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling specializes and is trained in fire and water damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home and your affected contents to pre-fire condition.
Don't wait! Give us a call today and we can help!
Water Damage in Lake City?
Have you had a water loss in your home in the Lake City area?
Our highly trained technicians are ready to respond immediately to your water damage at your home in the Upper Peninsula. We have the experience, expertise, and training to restore your home or business quickly and properly. We use advanced inspection and extraction equipment to find the water and remove it as quickly as possible. Our technicians will monitor and document the drying process to ensure your property is back to normal.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first, please utilize these tips below:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Have any questions? Give us a call at (231) 564-4014
Continuing Education Classes
At SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling we are still playing our part in being active in the community despite the COVID-19 pandemic. SERVPRO recently hosted two free virtual continuing education seminars to help aid the insurance agents that we work with take care of keeping up with their CE credits. The two virtual seminars allowed for the opportunity to earn three credits in ethics, two credits in cleaning smoke damaged contents, and two credits for our biohazard course. While things may look differently right now in regards to face to face activities, we at SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling are always adapting and overcoming. To pay our respects we delivered a viewing party themed package to the attendees. At SERVPRO, we take great pride in taking care of those who choose us.
COVID-19 Disinfecting Services
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean. SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling now has a new defensive cleaning program, Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. We are offering this service because we know that getting back to business relies on getting your customers back through your doors. And that will only happen if they feel comfortable and secure in your space.
SERVPRO is being called on by numerous businesses and community leaders to perform the necessary bioremediation services to clean, disinfect and sanitize their properties in order to combat against COVID-19. SERVPRO uses EPA approved products and follows the CDC guidelines for cleanup practices. The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line meet this standard and carry the EPA-registered emerging pathogens claims.
If you are looking to schedule a COVID-19 fogging or Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned service, contact us at 231-564-4014.
Frozen Pipe Bursts
Why Pipe Freezing is a Problem
Freezing temperatures, especially in winter, can sometimes subject water to below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. At such low temperatures, water normally turns into a solid, thereby blocking water flow. The considerable amount of pressure that accumulates at the point of blockage due to the expanded mass of ice subjects the pipes to tensional forces that rip the pipe apart. The water accumulated upstream from the blocked area in the pipe, therefore, leaks until appropriate repairs are done. That's where SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling comes in. We specialize in water removal, water damage restoration, and mitigation.
Pipes that freeze most frequently are:
- Pipes that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, and water sprinkler lines.
- Water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets.
- Pipes that run against exterior walls that have little or no insulation.
If you run into any problems with broken frozen pipes and water is pouring into your home. Give us a call and we can help you!
If you have any questions - call us at (231) 564-4014
Commercial Air Duct Cleaning
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprits in poor indoor air quality. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business.
According to the EPA:
You should consider having the air ducts in your home cleaned if-
- There is substantial visible mold growth inside hard surface ducts or on other components of your heating and cooling system.
- There is an odd smell coming from the duct system.
- Ducts are infested with vermin, e.g. (rodents or insects)
- Ducts are clogged with excessive amounts of dust and debris and/or particles are released into the home from your supply registers.
Some research also suggests that cleaning dirty cooling coils, fans and heat exchangers can improve the efficiency of heating and cooling systems.
Is cleaning my air ducts really that important?
During normal operation, dust can accumulate in ductwork that can lead to microbial growth. Duct cleaning has been shown to reduce this growth, as well as increase the efficiency of your system. In fact, in some cases of extreme buildup, it can increase efficiency as much as 40 percent!
SERVPRO of Bellaire, Kalkaska, Lake City & Grayling professionals routinely inspects the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can, in turn, save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. We will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your system.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning call us today! (231) 564-4014